Police Investigations & Review Commissionner
The post of the Police Investigations & Review Commissioner (PIRC) is a Ministerial appointment first established in 2008 by the Police, Public Order and Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act 2006 (“the Act”) and amended by the Police and Fire Reform (Scotland) Act 2012.
Under the Act, the Police Investigations & Review Commissioner:
• Undertakes independent investigations into the most serious incidents involving the police
• Undertakes independent examination of the way the police handle complaints from the public
• Undertakes independent investigations into allegations of misconduct by senior officers.
• Provides independent scrutiny of the arrangements that police bodies operating in Scotland have in place to respond to complaints from the public
Police Investigations & Review Commissioner (PIRC) is representing by :
Michelle Macleod : Commissioner
Alan Buchanan : Director of Operations
• Independently investigates serious incidents involving the Police
• Independently examines the way police bodies handle non-criminal complaints from members of the public
• Independently investigates allegations of misconduct by senior police officers when requested by the Scottish Police authority